Re: welding advice (kinda long)

To: Spridget mail list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welding advice (kinda long)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:57:56 -0500

James Nazarian Jr wrote:
> I have seen/done wirefeed welding in 55mph+ winds.

I'm not sure I want to know...  :-)

> Wirefeed welding will splatter more than Mig, although either splatter can be
>cleaned off with a wire brush.

Or, go to a welding supply house and pick up a spray can of "splatter
shield" (no joke).  Give a shot of it into the nozzle of the welder
before you start, and on the area around where you're welding.  Splatter
will wipe off with a cloth, and most of the slag will come out of the
nozzle with a quick tap on a hard surface.  Nice stuff, and truly cheap
given how well it does what it does.

> Again for MGBs, floor patches are available, they are essentially the outer
>few inches of the floor pan, since this is the area that tends to rust.  If
>they make them for little MGs then that ought to make your job easier.

Indeed they do, but you have to watch the quality.  You get what you pay
for.

> Keep in mind that whatever you pay for the welder it will cost ~$100 for the
>gas attachment if it isn't included, and ~$100 for a tank and your first fill
>up of gas.  After that the gas is cheap.

That depends.  CO2 is cheap, Argon isn't, and a mix is somewhere in
between.  I suppose it also depends on one's personal definition of
"cheap".  :-)

> My understanding of Arc welding, is that it is intended for thicker metal,
>and would probably burn right through sheet metal.

Yea, verily.  Incautious use of an arc welder is a good way to make BIG
ugly holes, with alarming speed.  You can do bodywork with one, but
you'd better be very good.  Having a "stitch weld" attachment helps.