Re: welding advice (kinda long)

To: cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: welding advice (kinda long)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:53:37 EST
In a message dated 3/1/2001 10:57:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu writes:

<< 1. Those of you who've done this, what type of welding setup would you
reccommend? I've done some looking aound, and there are places that sell
small ARC welders for around $100 and MIG welders for $250-$300. What's the
advantage/disadvantage compared to an oxy-acetylene or Mapp torch? >>

Chris:

Assuming you are a beginner, MIG is what you want--the kind with the gas
tank, not the coated wire type.  I bought mine for a good price at TIP  ( <A
HREF="http://www.tiptools.com/";>TP Tools & Equipment, Inc.</A>) Arc welders
are really difficult to control when welding sheet metal like this--you will
burn holes and not get a lot of welding done.  I have not used the Mapp or
Oxy-acetylene, except for heating and cutting, but I understand they are lots
more difficult to weld with than a MIG.  Actually, if floors are all you
need, and you don't have to get into A-posts and rockers, the job is not that
difficult.  Much easier if you can turn the car upside down, like I did,
since the floor goes in underneath.

I have never done a trunk floor.

--David C.