Re: Looking for a Bolt!

To: chuckc@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a Bolt!
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:10:16 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Chuck

A couple of questions first.  What year is your Lambert Bicycle?  What is the
size of the hex head of these bolt (if you even have a sample)?  If it
doesn't fit your American or metric wrenches then it is a Whitworth Form
Thread.  It sounds like this is a coarse thread which might make it BSW
(British Standard Whitworth).  If it is a 3/8" bolt it will have 16 TPI just
like an American bolt however the angle of the threads will be 55 degrees
with rounded crests and roots (tops and bottoms) versus 60 degrees with flat
tops and bottoms of an American bolt, read NOT interchangeable.

To confuse the issue even more many British motorcycles used CEI (Cycle
Engineers Institue/British Standard Cycle) threads, but these were a fine
thread (all sizes I believe had 26 TPI but early cycle threads were 20 TPI)
and it sounds like your bolt has coarse threads.

The first place that I would call is British Toll & Fastener in Los Osos,
California.  Phillip Brown is the owner and a wealth of knowledge all of the
British thread forms.
His number is (805) 528-0418.  I know he has a web site but I don't have the
address.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Curt Arndt