What's an NSU - no LBC just LGC

Subject: What's an NSU - no LBC just LGC
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 17:50:20 -0500
It may be a little late for this but I have not had time to put this
together until now.

NSU was a german company which started making Knitting machines an
bicycles.

They built their first car, a Belgain Pipe, under license in 1905.  They
designed and built their own cars until 1929 when they stopped to build
Fiats and motorbikes.  Both of these continued to the late 50's

NSU started building own cars again in 1957 with the Prinz, it was a
basic three box design with a two cylinder air cooled engine.  Bertone
styled a small sport coupe, the Sport Prinz, for 1959.  This styling was
carried over to the Wankel Spider of 1964.  This was the first
production rotary engined car.

The rotary was used in the NSU Ro80, a contemporary sedan from 1967 to
1977.  The engine was described as problementry, but it was in
production for 10 years.  So, how bad could it have been?

NSU merged with Auto Union in 1969 which was then bought by VW.  The NSU
reached the States as the VW K70.  There is still an NSU in Germany
which is basically the keeper of NSU history.

I have one picture of a Prinz at the following address:

        http://www.sentex.net/~dewood/micro_north/mn99_a1.jpg

To see it in context, the event was Micro North.  The site the pic came
from is:

        http://www.sentex.net/~dewood/micro_north/mn99-2.html

Its a pig because of all the pix.

I have no digital pictures of a Sport Prinz, which is a classy looking
car.  The only one
I have seen I should have bought.  If I find one I'll do a quick post.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have completed the info page for this
year's Micro North event at:

        http://www.sentex.net/~dewood/micro_north/index.html

It will mostly be micro cars but Bugsy will be there to lend a "real
car" feeling to the event.  Maybe I should set myself up as a rescue
vehicle? - Na.

Catch you later!
--
            David E. Wood       v               / |\    |\\