brake lines

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake lines
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:58:21 -0800
Cc: <morris@autox.team.net>
I tried the archives last night and this morning, but they seem to be
unavailable to me.

What are the acceptable materials for brake lines for a Sprite (or in this
case, Morris)?  The replacement line I got from MM for the master cylinder
to rear splitter was copper.  The steel lines I get from the local auto
parts store for a couple of bucks are so hard that they destroyed the
fitting for the double flare tool before they could form a flare.  The
originals are not copper and seem to be as hard as the American made steel
lines I was trying to use.  Is copper OK? Are there different grades of
copper available in this size?  I don't know how much pressure is generated
in a brake line, but I have a hard time picturing the copper balooning up as
a result of it.

The instructions on the flare tool box says it is to be used on copper,
aluminum, and THIN steel lines.  This implies to me that these materials are
used for brake lines since the double flares it is intended to create are
used primarily for braking systems.  What gives, or more appropriately, what
won't give?
If copper is totally unacceptable, what tool is capable of making a double
flare on steel tubing.  The NAPA one sure isn't.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)