Re: mufflers

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: mufflers
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:57:48 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jeff

I have a Cherry Bomb (brand) muffler, there are others too.
I used a $15 muffler from JC Whitney on Peter's Sprite,
It was much quiter than the Cherry bomb, looks about the same,
But we did expierience a baffle rattle on the PA turnpike, it made us
both wonder what the heck was going wrong with the rear end.
But suddenly the baffle stopped rattling. (or we exceeded that
particular RPM the rest of the trip)

UI did find that different exhaust tips, either pointing down, rolled
lip, or angle cut, will change the noise of the c/bomb.
I am currently running a rolled lip chrome tip on my cherry bomb and the
noise was reduced substancially. It's not quite, but it lost is
raspiness to some degree.
And then there is always the steel wool ball stuffed up the muffler.
That quites em down long enough to get thru inspection :)

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ