Dialing in the Cam--Any suggestions?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Dialing in the Cam--Any suggestions?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:43:05 EST
Well I went to where my Midget is torn down, armed with a new dial indicator
and magnetic base, plus the Crane Cam degree wheel.   No apparant way to put
the wheel on the front of the crank as the hole was too small to be bolted to
the crank. Ended up doubling some duct tape in a cross pattern and sticking
it to the end of the crank.

Found TDC of #1 piston by using the dial indicator--went 10 thou one way and
10 thou the other way. checking each stop on the degree wheel, averaged the
two, and moved the degree wheel to the average, which was, theoretically and
visually, TDC.   Head is off.  Put a pushrod into #1 intake valve chamber
(2nd chamber from the front), seating it into the lifter.  Set up the dial
indicator so that just touching the pushrod it registered at "0".  Then
rotated the engine clockwise to 20 on the dial indicator, checked the
position on the degree wheel, then counterclockwise to 20 on the dial
indicator, checked the position on the degree wheel.  Averaged the two degree
wheel readings and came up with 116 degrees.  Moved the crankshaft degree
wheel to 116 degrees.  This moves the piston about halfway down the cylinder.
 I have no idea what, at this point, I have, or what to do with it or about
it.

Can anybody tell from the steps I have described what, if anything,  I am
doing wrong?  Or if the procedure is correct, what I do have at that 116
degrees?  I know the cam works just fine by lining up the sprocket dots, but
I am trying to get the timing dead-on while I have everything apart.  I have
read Vizard's page on it several times.  There is something left out.   I
noted that when I was turning the crankshaft one way, when the valve began to
open according to the dial indicator, it went so far, reversed just a little,
then went ahead and opened.  What is this?

Thanks for any replies.

--David C.