Age Barameter x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Age Barameter x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:44:40 -0500
With all this nostalgia stuff going around on I decided I might mention
a few things of my own.  I may be one of the oldest on the list if not
the oldest at 71 so this will be a bit far back.  I was born during the
29 crash at a time when my father found himself along with many others
down and out.  Since our house was just a one story building he
fortunately didnt have very far to fall when he jumped out the window
and so we did maniage to live thru it all.
I dont know when dry breakfast cereal came into being but the only one
we knew of then (1933-35) was Post Toasties and I consumed a whole bunch
of it during those hard times.  This popular product has never changed
to this day.  Soon after came Kelloggs corn flakes and then a few years
later Wheaties -- you know, the breakfast of champions with Jack
Armstrong the all-American boy.
The candy bar of the day was Baby Ruth and the Hershey bar.  Black
licorice was also a favorite.  When I couldnt get any licorice I chewed
on bits of melted tar for gum from the tar used to patch roads.  For
what ever reasons there always seemed to be a whole lot of patching of
roads where we lived probably due to Roosevelts WPA program.
A favorite bottled drink then was, of course, Coca-Cola.  Thats when
the beverage actually contained cocaine.  But in the South, Nehi Grape
and Orange Crush was most everybodys choice.  RC Cola and a Moon Pie was
very popular treat even today.  As for beer the one I remember best was
Atlantic Ale.
The most popular cigarette was Lucky Strikes the taste that satisfies
and Phillip Morris.  Do you remember the little midget bell hop in the
red outfit? --  Call for Philip Morris Red!  The familiar Lucky
Strikes white package was then olive drab until World War II when it is
said the color was replaced with white because the army needed the olive
drab for the war effort.  Doesnt make sense but thats the story.
Also, later during the war there was a brand called Home Run that was a
rather strong weed indeed.  It may still exist today.  I can't say -- I
don't smoke myself.  During the Depression years you made do the best
way you could.  Those who couldnt buy store bought cigarettes made
their own with a unique but simple mechanical device that just about
everybody owned who couldnt afford the store boughts.
Newspaper funnies was and has been still one of my favorite things.  I
learned to draw drawing on a ton of typewriter sheets with a no. 2 or 3
pencil copying Moon Mulins, Felix the Cat, Betty Boop, Popeye, Mutt &
Jeff, Blonde and Dick Tracy.   Later World War II produced two of my
very favorite characters -- Beetle Bailey and Bill Mauldins Mo & Joe
who slushed and fought their way across the European continent with
Pattons 3rd Army.
The movies was only a sometime special treat for only a few cents a
show.  Everybody loved Shirley Temple and the women went wild over Rudy
Valentino.  Radio was the basic family entertainment medium.  As a kid I
seldom missed listening to Gang Busters, The Inter sanctum, the Shadow,
the Lone Ranger and get this -- Little Orphan Annie.
During the hard times Dad still managed to hang on to his pride and joy,
a Graham Page automobile.  When is the last time you have seen one of
these?  I havent seen one myself since my childhood.  It was one of the
best cars of the day, square as a box, big and built like a tank.  I can
remember sitting in the back seat high up off the ground when as a five
year old boy straining could barely look out the window without having
to stand up.  It had large beautifully varnished wooden wheels and long
wide running boards.  And, of course, true to the tradition established
by Henry Ford it was black .  The Chrome on cars at that time must not
have been  very good.  Gradually I became obcessed with peeling the
stuff off the bumpers like peeling a banana.  Dad didnt take to that
too kindly I might add.
I could go on and on, folks, but -- well, I guess I had better bug off
now.
Thanks for having me on board.

Roy Rogers
60 Bugeye