Re: Roller T/O bearing

To: Michael Knisely <mdknisely@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roller T/O bearing
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:09:27 -0800
The roller bearing that I had experience with may be different than what is
available now, as I used it in the late eighties, early nineties.  The
actual bearing was made by "Green Bearing Co."  I bought it through a
supplier that is no longer in business.  The carrier is a high temp
composite plastic.  While that gave me cause to be worried, in real life it
lasted just fine.  My experience with the carbon bearings was that they
would crumble, wear down or fall apart about the same time the rest of the
clutch was toast also.  If those of you who have had carbon bearings fail,
examine all the other parts carefully, and you will probably notice that the
friction surface is almost to the rivets, one or more fingers between the
spline and the friction suffice will be cracked, and one or more of the
chatter springs will probably also be broken.  My opinion, GO 5-SPEED!!!
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino