Re: Engine pulling

To: pauld@ekpc.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine pulling
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:44:16 EST
In a message dated 3/28/2001 1:00:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, pauld@ekpc.com
writes:

> It's time to pull an engine.  In the spirit of the 'we tight' club, I need
> an engine stand.  Harbor Freight is 15 minutes away, so I would
> appreciate a recommendation for a stand from their stock.
>
> Any tricks to consider would be appreciated as I have never done
> this on my own before.

Paul:

I just the past weekend put my engine back in after pulling it.  Depending on
what you are going to do to the engine, I am not convinced that an engine
stand is really needed.  Maybe, if you are going to do major work on the
engine, but I have found that a good sturdy table or workbench is great.  I
did the work on this engine on a hospital gurney (Yeah, laugh if you will.
LOL .  The Gurney was great--it could be elevated with the push of a foot
lever, was large enough to lay the tools and parts on, and could be rolled
everywhere I needed it to be.)  But another EXTREMELY useful, even crucial,
item that Harbor Freight has for about $25 (or less sometimes) is an engine
leveler that hangs from the cherry picker and allows you to turn a crank and
tilt the engine at the critical angle you need to cleanly pull and replace
it.  Especially if you are pulling the tranny and the engine at the same
time.

For my money, I thought the effort of bolting the engine block to the stand
(I bought one of the cheaper lightweight, but very adequate stands from
Advance) was not really worth the stand.  Other listers may love them, but I
only used it for the first engine I ever pulled.  I have pulled it three
times since and have foregone the stand for the sturdy workbench or the
gurney.

--David C.

///