Re: Storing spare parts

To: "Vrba, Dave" <Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Storing spare parts
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:28:19 -0800
Dave,

I think what you have done is fine. This is basically how the cranks I had
polished were given back to me, except they used 30wt motor oil. Your only
problem is the grease will be a pain to remove later.

The best way to store bare metal parts with "greasin' them up" is to treat
the metal with phosphoric acid for about 5-10 minutes and then wipe off the
excess and let dry. If you want to actually blacken the steel, you can
leave it on longer. On a part like an axle shaft, you don't need to remove
this protective coating, soo you don't have the extra labor of cleanup when
you want ot use it. You can practically keep them that way indefinately if
you keep them in a box or bag in a dry location. Avoid plastic bags if
there is the possibility of condensation. Keep in mind that dust or debris
that falls on an exposed piece will attract moisture also. Another option
is Vaseline. I read somewhere that is is chemically similar to Cosmoline
(gun preservative), but is a non-oxidized version.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints