RE: BEEFI

To: "WFO Herb" <froggi@cdsnet.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BEEFI
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:19:33 -0700 m>
Good idea. I am in search of just ONE electronic box for my ignition that
will do the following.

1) Complete adjustability of the spark advance curve with a laptop PC. You
could save the curve and try it out, and replace it or whatnot, while
driving would be a plus. And adjustability through a PC or laptop would be
SO MUCH better than knobs and plug in modules.

2) Maybe an option for your box, Feedback from a knock sensor that retards
timing a degree or so for every knock. Oh and it also alerts you with a LED
or something when it detects knock through the sensor. Knock sensors aren't
that pricey and only need to bolt on to anywhere on the engine, although
closer to the chambers the better.

3) Some really neat software that allows you to compare advance curves and
swap them out as you drive in case of knock or bad gas or something and it
could log knocks in the rpm range and save them for viewing later when you
pull over or get to your destination.

4) You can also adjust the curve so at like below 100 rpm (starting) it will
retard nicely to let it start easily. (Notice how modern cars can start with
like a half turn of the crank.... even less so now days, and they are
working on, with variable valve timing, doing away with the starter, and
starting it up using direct injection and spark control, scary stuff)

5) Also an option for no spark advance if somebody wants to keep their
mechanical or vacuum advance working and not mess with a PC. But in my case,
I want to remove the springs and vacuum line, and let the unit do the
calculations.

6) The unit would be black, as small as possible and could hide well
someplace in the engine compartment.

7) Performance of a MSD6 unit :P

8) Can power a MSD coil.

That's about it! I have priced what a box like the above will do from MSD
(digital 7 plus I believe is the unit) and the like. And my total was around
$800. I can get multiple boxes from MSD that will do the same thing, it
comes out to about $600

Anything under $300-$400 that will do that, sign me up.

I have considered making my own, not quite enough knowledge on the
electronics side yet for me, but maybe in a few years and after taking a few
electronic engineering classes I could start really thinking about it. I
could probably handle the software side though.

Hey also, maybe keep the Ignition and FUEL systems separate units so those
of us that want to keep are SUs can do so?

Oh oh and maybe those of us that want to keep are SUs but be really sly can
mount some injectors in some hollowed out SUs and basically make a throttle
body fuel injection system. (Not sequential, which is harder anyhow) Don't
know which fuel injection system you guys plan on using anyhow.

Good luck, keep up the good work, very fun stuff once you understand the
amount of PC power behind modern EFI and it no longer appears to be  black
"magical" boxes.

Toby

mechanical engineer in training. UCSB

My Fellow Spridgeteers,

We need your input as to what you would want in BEEFI... BugEye
Electronic Fuel Injection.

Would fewer features and lower price be more appealing?  Would more
advanced features such
as Electronic Spark Control, "tweak" as you drive and somewhat of a
higher price meet your
requirements?

What price range would you expect such a system to be in order for you
to purchase Fuel
Injection for your Series-A engine?

Keep in mind we are talking about the electronic portion of the FI unit,
nothing else at this point
and time.  As you know, in part, this is a DIY project.  We will be
producing the "brain box"
and you will modify, install or build other components.  We are trying
to keep the cost (to you) to a minimum.

Questions?

Herb

///