Re: Car body numbers

To: "ryan marro" <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car body numbers
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:46:36 -0700
Ryan,

This is only an educated guess on my part but here goes; Your two door
plates are in the range of being a proper pair, your chassis plate seems
way out of range relative to the door plates. Just to give you and idea,
one of my Bugeyes was made in late June of 1960, and the door plates are
415xx and 412xx with a chassis number 420xx. Your door plates are sequenced
after mine. AN5L23245 (your chassis plate) would indicate the car was
manufactured in the 3rd quarter of 1959. The other thing is that, unless my
memory is failing, the door plates are screwed, not riveted on. Trying not
to assume the worst, I'm wondering if someone substituted another body (all
or partial) because of rust or accident damage, but keeping the original
chassis/registration number. I once bought a Bugeye that turned out to be
two cars welded together just behind the shifter from door to door. The
front turned out to be a MKII! Check under the jumpseat mat and behind the
dash to see if you can find original crayoned chassis numbers in these
areas (all cars had them there), and see if you find any other
discrepancies. Also check the number on the right hand footwell between the
firewall and tha cover for a the RHD master cyinder. That stamped number
should be in a similar range as the chassis plate, if it's the correct
chassis plate.

I'm interested in hearing what you find...'-) Good luck!

Gerard

At 11:19 PM -0700 4/4/01, ryan marro wrote:
>Gerard,
>It does have a number plate on the right side.  It says, (I assume it says
>BAE, but the rivet goes through the B) BAE44071.  What does it mean?  Do I
>have a different car than I think I do?  Do I need to call the police?
>Ryan
>
>>Ryan,
>>
>>one is. It should start "BAE". What is your BAE (right door plate) number?
>>
>>Gerard

Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux