Re: Help - oil leaking onto exhaust manifold !

To: william@greenmgb.com, Ajhsys@aol.com, Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help - oil leaking onto exhaust manifold !
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:26:44 EDT
In a message dated 4/11/01 12:36:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
william@greenmgb.com writes:

> > As far as the leaking oil on the manifold, clean the engine and run it for
> > while.
>
> ----- SNIP -----
>
> Would love to hear some opinions and experiences with this part of the
> procedure in more detail.
> What do you use to clean the engine , if you can't take it out?
> What would degreaser do to you hoses and wires?
> Which degreaser?
> Should the carbs be taken off and the holes plugged?
>
> So many questions from the un-initiated :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everybody has to start somewhere.  Just keep asking questions.  That's how
you learn stuff.

I have used Gunk Engine Cleaner.  Warm up the engine, squirt Gunk all over
it, brush it around with a scrub brush, then drive the car to the 25 cent
coin-op car wash (it's been a while since I did this!).  Cover the
distributor with a plastic bag and hose the engine off with clear water.  You
can do this in your driveway, but it makes a bit of a mess.  The car wash has
a drain that is supposed to collect the yucky water.

You can also try Simple Green or Castrol Super Cleen (I think it's called),
which should work well.  If the car won't start after hosing it off, pull the
dist. cap and dry out the insides.  Stay away from the air cleaners and
alternator/generator when hosing the engine.

Remember, YMMV!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget