Re: Priming and Painting

To: Brad Fornal <Toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Priming and Painting
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:10:59 -0700
Yay!  Tack rags are good, and you might be able to get them at Home
Depot as
they're used for a lot of fine wood finishing.   If not, go to an auto
paint
supply store or a large, decent auto supply store.  And so are lint free
paper
towels sold special for this, used with a special surface wash agent,
followed
with a wash of an enamel reducer.  All wax, oils, silicone, etc. must be
gone from
the surface.   I would also use an etching/primer on any bare metal
surfaces.
Much more effective than plain primer.  Not only do you need a
mechanical bond,
but a chemical bond with the bare metal surface. mar-hyde,  brand, makes
a single
stage self etching primer in light gray that's in a rattle can.  Nice,
as all the
leftover is still in the can!  It runs about $10 to $12 a can of 19 oz.
Keep in
mind that the surface prep is really important to a nice adhering paint
job.
Don't want any rust areas or lifting showing up in the future,
UNDERNEATH the
unbroken paint surface.

Best, Paul A

Brad Fornal wrote:

> > I would think the tack rags that you can get at Home Depot. They
have a waxy
> > feel to them and should collect all your dust. List, yea........ or
>
> >  Dave wrote:
> >     What is the best way to clean off all the sanding dust prior
> > >to painting?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Dave
> > >'72 Midget MKIII