London Sights for a friend (NO LBC) x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: London Sights for a friend (NO LBC) x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:24:26 -0400
 Hi gang!
  I have non-lbc friends going to London for a week on Apr 29.
They're looking for recommendations of specific places they should visit

in the London area.
  Any especially worthwhile restaurants, pubs, inns, (moderate/medium
prices)
or other places/things they should visit that don't show up on the
standard tourist lists?  (I'm assuming they're smart enough to know
about
Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. ;-)  But throw those in too if you
are/were
particularly impressed with them.)
  This is a young couple (late-20s to very early 30s).  Friendly and
outgoing types.
  Thanks!
         Ed in NC

Funny that you should ask.  My cousin just left for an England visit and
tour and she sent me her itinerary which should serve you very well if
you should choose to follow it.  Anyway here it is.  Have fun and good
luck.
Roy Rogers

Barbara asked me for an itinerary, and I thought I would copy it to you.

We know it will be cold there, and are packing accordingly.  Incredibly
excited.
Get on plane tomorrow and arrive in London Fri 9:30 a.m.
We heard Stonehenge opened yesterday, so we will get to see it after
all.
 Kathi meeting us in St. Lou9is to get on TWA flight to London.  Will
email you after we return Apr 25.
Love to you and Rita.

Sandra

Hey Barb:  You asked for our itinerary!!..this is rough, but my best
guess for now.
The Map attached is general route we will travel, only we begin going
east to Canterbury, then westerly.  Here's a rough outline of our 7 day
driving tour--subject to changes we may make every day.  We Fly to
London on Thursday, so I call Friday our first day:

Day #1 Friday. Our Flight arrives at Gatwick Airport 9:30 am, rent car,
drive to and tour Leeds Castle and then to Canterbury, see town and
cathedral, maybe drive a few miles east to the coastline, then down to
Dover, look at the white cliffs and by then worn out, drive to
Folkestone,
already have reservations at the Best Western Clifton Hotel.. built in
1864 and overlooking the English Channel.
(for a picture of our hotel, go to Best Western site, England, and you
will find it, ...also you can find most of the Best Westerns we have to
choose from with our 6 vouchers.  We are supposed to decide where to
spend the next nite BEFORE we check out of each one, and that is hard to

do, but we will have to figure about where we will be in order to call
ahead and get our voucher reservation each day).

Day #2 Saturday. Maybe drive back to Dover for a while...then go back
west and on to Hastings, where the Battle of Hastings
was. Then Portsmouth, take couple tours, probab drive on to Southhampton
to spend nite.

Day #3, Easter Sunday.  Maybe Drive to Winchester Cathedral or Salisbury
Cathedral to an Easter Service, tour Winchester, Old Sarum,
Salisbury, Wherewell, Southhampton again.

Day #4. Monday. finish Southhampton, Drive thru Salisbury, see
Stonehenge. Maybe spend nite in Salisbury, or, drive on to Bath area and

spend nite near Bath.

Day #5. Tues.  See Bath, must leave by noon and drive north thru the
Cotswolds
(forests), to Coventry via Stratford, etc. Spend nite somewhere there.

Day #6. Wed.  See Shakespeares Stratford on Avon,  spend 3 hours in
Warwick Castle, spend nite somewhere near, maybe at Warwick.

Day #7. Thurs.  Drive thru Banbury. see Blenheim Palace and tour Oxford,
spend our last nite in Best Western hotel that is closest to Heathrow
Airport.

Day #8. Fri. Early in a.m. drive to Heathrow airport, turn in car, take
train into London, check in the Amsterdam Hotel, 7 Trebovir Road, Earls
Court, London PHone +44(0) 207 370 2814.  (This will be our home for 4
nites)..
Jump on the "tube" to the British Museum, eat lunch in their little
shop, and spend afternoon there, closes 5:30.

Leave British Museum, Jump on Tube, go to place our evening tour picks
us up at 6:30 p.m. to go on the ghosts and ghoulies tour, Here's what
the book says: "A fascinatinating tour including visits to two English
pubs, crooked alleyways and ancient buildings of the city, crumbling
churchyards, gaslit courtyards. Riverside quays that were a stomping
ground for young Shakespeare and timbered hostelries venerated as
antique
by Dickens. see nooks and crannies that gave reference to the infamous
Ripper.  Walk (!!) down a medieval street & follow route of the Death
Cart and hear the cry "bring out your dead" echo once more thru the
lanes of the old city, visit a plague pit where 50,000 victims of the
1348
Black Death lie restless still in their awful tomb, visit the very
places where Dickens' novels were set & follow Jack the Ripper trail and
visit
sites of selected murders. Hear about suspect after suspect and the
grisly details."    (AND THIS IS ALL AT NIGHT, We get back about 10:30,
then
have to catch the tube to our hotel.  Gosh, I hope Jody goes with us
after all.)

Day #9 Sat:  Rise early and ride tube to location where the double
decker bus picks us up at 8:30 for a 3 hour RIDING tour around the
city.   Drive
by Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Downing Street,
home of Prime Minister, Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus square,
lastly Buckingham Palace, (London home of the Queen), to see the
Changing of the Guard, where tour ends at 12:00noon.
We are then free all afternoon to go sight seeing, the Tower of London,
(awful history on that place, but it is also where we see the Crown
Jewels), walk to St. Pauls Cathedral, all around there.
Stay till we are worn out and jump on the tube and go back to hotel.

Day #10 Sun:  Today we rise very early, must get to Victoria Station in
time for coach to pick us up at 8:30 a.m. for all day cruise up the
Thames
River.  Here's the description:  "Travel thru Old Windsor, Great Park,
past the Field of Runnymede, where King John sealed Magna Carta, see
Windsor Castle, the Queen's weekend residence, Predecessor of the Round
Tower was built by William the Conqueror in 11th century. Guided tour
of Castle and State Apts, see Royal treasures and St. George's Chapel,
Albert Memorial Chapel and Queen Mary's Dolls House.  Lunch served on
the cruise boat.  Then to Hampton Court Palace gardens and State Apts.
Built by Cardinal Wolsey in 1514, and forcibly taken from Wolsey by
Henry VIII when he broke with Catholic Church over Ann Boelyn scandle.
Has famous Maze in the gardens. Return to London 8:15 p.m.
TIRED PUPPIES I WILL BET!

Day 11  Mon   FREE ALL DAY AND NIGHT!  See whatever we can, museums,
London Eye Millenium Wheel, whatever!!

Day 12 Tues. check out, ride train to Gatwick Airport, Fly home.   WHEW.
WILL BE SOME
SNORING ON THIS FLIGHT HOME, I'LL BET.

///