Re: ???????

To: Robert Sexson <rsexson@excite.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ???????
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:31:32 -0700
Robert,

The easiest and fastest way remove the undercoating from the floorboards is
with a heat gun. Some people will use a propane torch, but you must be very
careful as the high heat and open flame can start the stuff on fire. In any
event, do this outdoors as it really stinks and even the heat gun will
create smoke (like the roofers that run around with their steaming tar
vats).

For the rust, remove as mush as you can by abrasion (ginder, wirewheel,
sander, etc. Then treat with phosphoric acid (metal prep). Depending on
your patience level, the phosphoric acid, with time, will dissolve all the
remnabts of the rust. Were talking numerous hours to do so though. For
vertical surfaces I add a little Navel Jelly to the phosphoric acid so it's
stays on a little better. When the rusted areas turn black, it can be
scraped or washed off like old paint. Repeat the application as long as you
care to, The blacked areas will no longer rust, but make sure you remove
all residue from clean metal before you paint. I would use a primer like
Rust-o-leum before you re-undercoat it too. Another good paint for rusted
metal is Hammerite Rustcap.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -