Re: ???????

To: rsexson@excite.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ???????
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:36:14 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2001 12:10:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rsexson@excite.com writes:

> 1.  What is the best method to remove the hard black material that is on the
> floor boards. It has a little rust under it in places. where there is rust
> it comes off easy,the rest is welded. >>

Where the stuff is welded, there is probably no rust under it.  I am not
sure, but the
stuff is probably Undercoating.  It should dissolve if you soak it in paint
thinnner or kerosene if that is what it is.  When it is softened you can use
a putty knife to scrape it up.  After you get it up and take care of the
rust, the rubberized undercoating is great stuff to spray back on the floor
to give you a rust-proof coating that will also give a little measure of
insulation plus sound deadening.  Paintable too.

> 2.  There was a thread about what to use on the surfice rust on the floor
> boards. I can't remember what it was and I didn't have any luck with the
> arkives. TIA

Use a Phosphoric acid preparation, after wire brushing off as much loose
scale and rust as possible.  I called the local Pittsburg Paints and they
carried a product called something like "Phospho".  Don't remember the exact
name--that could be it.  But it is a phosphoric acid rust treatment.  DO NOT
use hydrochloric acid, commonly sold to etch concrete.    Use only the
phosphoric acid on the rust.

--David C.

///