Re: Compressor question-no LBC

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor question-no LBC
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:27:20 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Bill,

Don't confuse the CFM rating with the working pressure.  It's entirely possible
that it won't create enough CFM at a given pressure to run the sand blaster
properly, but that's a problem of CFM capacity of the compressor.

First thing I would do is to check the accuracy of the pressure guage. Also see
if the pressure guage is on the tank or the line side of the pressure regulator.
Assuming that this has a reservoir of some decent size, 7, 10, 15 gals, with a
decent impact wrench on a proper sized hose and a big enough pressure reducer
valve, if you have one, you should be able to break loose any LBC lug nuts with
ease.  I run mine at about 90 PSI with a 50 ft 3/8 inch hose and it does just
fine.  I also run a 3/4" impact wrench on it when needed for stubburn crankshaft
nuts on these engines.

Try checking the pressure guage.  Oil your impact wrench.  See what the CFM
requirements for the sand blast cabinet are and look on the compressor or in the
manual for the rated CFM output at various PSI of your compressor.

Best, Paul A

Bill Mantz wrote:

> My loving wife bought me an air compressor for Christmas 2 years ago. It has
> never worked correctly. At 125 psi. it will not break loose a lug nut that I
> can break loose by hand easily. If I hook it to a small sand blasting
> cabinet, at 110 psi I can stop the flow from the nozzle with my finger. The
> psi is there according to the tank and compressor gauges, so I assume that
> there is a problem with the cfm. I have no idea how I would even check the
> feet per minute. Any Ideas??

///