Fwd: [midgetsprite] rear wheel steering! (More on this!)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: [midgetsprite] rear wheel steering! (More on this!)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:58:31 EDT
To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
From "chris broughton" <cfmpmrg at optusnet.com.au>
  midgetsprite-owner@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:48:42 +0800
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] rear wheel steering!

Thank you all for your concerns and wishes well.

The damage to the car is --bonnet,boot lid ,front screen and
frame.seats!!,and a few other sundry bits and bobs.
The basics of the tale are that,,,,about 7.30a.m on the way to the
irport( I drive 747's for a quid) doing about 100 kms( the legal limit here)
and a bit of a "nudge" from the back end drivers side.As we are all aware
,these things happen,one keeps on keeping on.
As I lifted off prior to shifting to 3rd for the exit I needed,I was a pilot
a few hours earlier than I had expected to be!!
It seems from the engineers examination( the guys in the service hangars at
work were very keen to have a look) that the axle tube had been cracked for
some time.There is evidence of dirt and old oil in the gap where there
should be no gap!!The housing broke apart enough to let the bearing turn
sideways in the tube,it seized and in doing so at speed,caused the axle
itself to sheer and break.
The axle "dug in " on the road,result a hollywood stunt!!!
The car has had a very sedentary life,it was my mums new,and had been
restored in the U.K about 3 years ago.The restorers tell me that they crack
test all suspension components prior to re-assembly,their photographic
record of the work performed bears this out.
The damage to the car will cost about $5000.00 A to fix,it may even be worth
sending back to the U.K for a heritage shell ,if they are any good.

Crack test kits can be obtained in spray can form( we use that system for
certain things at work--and a mate of mine uses the spray system on his
group A race car.)...my advice would be....buy one.

regards to the list
chris