Oil puddle

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Oil puddle
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:40:15 EDT
I noticed something strange about my Midget the other day.  I have the engine
out, as most of you are aware, replacing it with an ebay engine.   I walked
over to check something in the empty engine bay and noticed a substantial
puddle of oil on the floor, sort of beneath the bell housing. Put my finger
in it to check it (glad it wasn't cat pee)  and it turned out to be very
clean, new oil.  Noted also that it was inside the bell housing that was
still in the car.  Surmised that my tranny front seal must be leaking
copiously.

But yesterday, I went back to the engine bay to check on the oil leak a bit
further, put my fingers up behind the throw out bearing and there was NO
appreciable amount of oil back there.  THEN I noticed that the small square
ON TOP of the bell housing was filled with this clean oil.  Where the hell is
this oil coming from?  The oil Couldn't have flowed uphill from the seal to
the top of the bell housing!  So I am fairly sure it is not the seal.   I am
pretty sure I overfilled the tranny with oil.  One suggestion was that there
are overflow holes on topof the tranny and it probably was due to the extra
oil coming out.  Any ideas, or confirmations of the latter explanation?

--DAvid C.

///