dipstick tube / overfilling

To: "'Spridget List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: dipstick tube / overfilling
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 18:39:01 -0400
My dipstick tube is extremely .  It does not have a washer on the dipstick,
but I don't think that it should.

How does one fix the dipstick holder?  Replace it?  Should it have an o-ring
on it?  Did the early 12CC 1275s have a rubber or felt on the dipstick?  For
that matter, did the 1098s have a rubber or felt?  (Mine does, but is it
right? )

Why does overfilling cause smoking?  Leaking out the back?

Thanks!
Robert D.