Dream a Little Dream

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dream a Little Dream
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:57:22 -0500
Ok, I was out practicing for British Car Week this evening and on a
whim, whipped into the local convenience joint for a D.P. I notice a
rather rough looking character eyeing the car as I went inside. While I
was paying up for the drinks I see him walk over to the car. He comes
inside and asks if it is mine, and then proceeds to tell me of his
ownership of a 68 Sprite when he was 19 or 20 (he looked about 40 to
45).
He says that he had hopped up the engine but rolled the car later and
when he sold it the purchaser wanted the stock parts back on the car so
it would be original. He said that the hot rod parts were in his barn
wrapped in oiled rags and that if he stumbled across them he would give
them to me. I gave him my card and asked what he had. He said he had a
head, header and possibly a carburetor. He said if he remembered
correctly the carb and the header were on opposite sides of the head.
Before he left, I offered to pay him for the parts when he found them
and he refused saying he didn't know what shape they were in and what
they would be worth, so they would be free.
My question to the list is,
20-25 years ago, what kind of crossflow heads (if any) were out there. I
know that the technology has made vast improvements in the development
of HP in the last couple of decades, but is any of the early stuff work
reworking and putting to use should this man call me back?? I hope he
will, it would seem rather odd that a total stranger would walk up and
make an offer like this with no intention of at least putting some
effort into finding the parts. And please don't give me grief about the
books, I really tried....................!!!!