Re: Explosion at Tailpipe

To: chuckc@attglobal.net, spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: Explosion at Tailpipe
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:08:40 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/23/01 6:12:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chuckc@attglobal.net writes:

> Hmmm. But how/why would that bit of "weeped" fuel get into
> a cylinder a) before the regular intake of fuel when the intake valve
> opens, and 2) at such a time that the explosion occurred when the
> exhaust valve was open (after ??) normal ignition, so that the

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Liquid fuel can leak a bit thru a closed intake valve, especially if it is an
old valve and doesn't seat perfectly.  Liquid fuel in the cylinder doesn't
burn.  It has to be an air/fuel mixture.  When a bit of liquid fuel gets into
the exhaust manifold, it can be ignited by hot exhaust gasses, which creates
an exhaust explosion heard at the tailpipe.  (I think.  Well, I'm a salesman
so I can be convincing!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget