my pin's worn and the hole's too big

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: my pin's worn and the hole's too big
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:22:14 -0400
Lads and lasses,

I knew that there was too much play in my clutch pedal and since the
hydraulics went south, I'm pulling it apart.  These pictures came out really
badly, but I think that they show the damage?
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/worn_clutch_parts.htm

It looks like the pedal and box have been repaired before.  It's not very
evident in the photo, but there is a small crack there also, to the left of
the hole in the pedal box.  The nut was loose and the pedal was kinda
seized.  The pin seems to have been turning in the hole instead of the pedal
bushing turning on the pin.  What would you do if you were me?  I could just
put these parts back together.  Properly cleaned and lubricated and
tightened, this 'could' work.  The clutch pedal worries me though.  It looks
as if it has been welded together at some point.  Perhaps it is wider than
stock and keeping the pin from being held in place, ... hmmm?

My clutch was acting really strange.  < It went at a stop light>  Pumping
the pedal didn't make it progressively better, but suddenly it would take
and then I would try to get it into gear and either it would grind or it
would go in and then engage suddenly on it's own.  <stall>  I had my son
with me, so I pushed it off the road and called for a tow truck.  Wouldn't
want to set a bad example.  There was a bit of fluid coming down the push
rod, but not much.  I haven't gotten there yet.

I'm wishing I had a Bentley manual for the '67.  I'm off to check out this
MC, etc. in Haynes.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca
'65 RHD BRG AH Sprite
'67 RHD red MG Midget < aka: Miss Marple >