Re: Questions about my '72 Midget

To: "Charles Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions about my '72 Midget
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:16:10 -0400
> 2.  The carb breather going from the front float bowl is now open to the
> air... it used to also go to the gulp valve/PCV I think.  Should I block
it
> up?  Is it venting fuel vapors?

Originally there should be 3 connections on the front carb and 2 on the
rear. On the front one connection feeds the fuel, another carries fuel to
the rear, and the third is the vent/overflow (which shouldn't happen unless
the needle valve is sticking open!). The rear should have the fuel inlet and
vent as well. The two vents originally connected together and to the carbon
cannister through a 'Y' connection. The pre-smog cars didn't have the
connections to the cannister, they simply had small holes under the fuel
inlets with a little metal cover to help keep out the dirt. So aside from
being a bit more exposed to getting dirt in the fuel bowls, perhaps, there
shouldn't be any reason why it should matter if it's open or connected to
the cannister. I don't think you should block it up though, as that's
probably the connection that allows atmospheric pressure in the bowl.
Without that the fule won't flow properly through the jet.

My '71 was also desmogged when I got it, but I went ahead and put a carbon
cannister on it just to have somewhere to connect all the "loose ends". Note
that without the cannister you also have the open vent from the gas tank
coming up on the passenger side just in front of the fuse box, unless
someone went to the trouble to remove it.

HTH!

Eddie
1971 Midget