Re: Fw: Back for now

To: "Kent J. Miller" <Bushwacker4@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Back for now
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 22:35:59 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Kent,

A couple of quick questions arising from you comments. Is the lash
supposed to be set hot? I have looked high and low for this, and
cannot find this specified in the manuals.

By proper sequence, do you mean the rule of nine (e.g., when #2 is
down, adjust #7) or some other sequence?

How can they be 180 degrees out? This could easily be my problem as I
certainly have never checked.

The rocker arm assembly torque was not checked at the last lash
setting. I'll check that. It has been checked twice since the rebuild.

Thanks for writing,

Jeff

PS I know that our engines use solid lifters, I was just wondering if
there had been a bad run, possibly poor raw materials, that is
resulting their breakdown.

>Jeff,
>
>The Sprites have solid lifters. Only hydraulic lifters can experience the
>failure to pump up all the way syndrome. Have you checked for excessive play
>on the rocker arm shaft where the arms pivot? Are you sure that they were
>adjusted in the proper sequence? Engine warm during adjustment? They weren't
>adjusted when they were 180 degrees out, were they? Are the studs for the
>rocker arm assembly properly torqued?
>
>Sounds like the lash is off somehow...

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>