Really stumped

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Really stumped
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:08:14 -0700
Hey guys,

While were giving quizes, who can help me solve this puzzler...

'71 Midget with RB340 voltage regulator.

I've gone through every check and adjustment procedure in the Bentley
manual to sort out why there is a charging problem.

Geherator polarized
Procedure for voltage - approx 15 volts
Procedure for current, reading with ammeter approx 20 amps
cutoff procedure - open at idle, closed on RPM increase above 1000RPM
proceure for generator- 20 volts at idle, increases steadily on revs
continuity between generator and V Reg checks OK
continuity between V Reg and positive battery cable checks OK
braided ground strap between chassis and bolt on slave cylinder
ignition light goes out over 1000 RPM
belt not slipping
Brand new battery that will hold a charge for about a week, but doesn't
pick up any charge from the car running.

I did find that the cut-off contact would sometime close when the car was
shut off which would account for the battery drain over a weeks time, but
doesn't explain why the battery wasn't charging when driven. I corrected
that problem though, but still no charging.

The one thing I'm not sure about though, is when I check the voltage at the
"F" terminal at the V Reg, when everything is connected, the voltage drops
to around 6 volts when the engine is revved. readings at the "B" terminal
read a steady 12-13 volts.

What have I missed???

Gerard

--