RE: New MG?

To: <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: New MG?
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:07:52 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jay

The cars I saw (sat in) in St. Paul at MG2001 look like they are gunning for
the BMW 3-series, and falling a little short. Not bad company really, since
lots of pretty good cars aim at the 3 and don't quite get it. Tough market
though.

They intend two rear-drive models soon, one at 260HP and another well over
300. The guy from Rover said that they would probably have a coupe and sedan
at each power level. He wasn't sure how they want to do the next roadster.
The MGF is neither an entry-level Midget-type car or a serious sportster. I
had the impression that the Rover Guy wanted either or both of those rather
than the F. But the F is what they inherited (along with the tarted-up
Rovers) when BMW walked away. I had no sense that they intended to do
anything retro.

Rover-MG does have an interest in Qvale now, but that was so recent that the
Rover folks here couldn't say what it meant, but they were pleased by it.
Best thing I saw was that they were car people

Phil Vanner
They did sound good on the track