Re: Judson Experience

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Judson Experience
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:20:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/01 7:16:18 AM, boxweed@thebest.net writes:

<< Sooo......in other words, it still sounds like your Judson had more

negatives than positives, or one would guess that you would have left it on

after the rebuild?! >>

Do not know if that was tongue in cheek or not but will add some comments.
For me the Judson certainly had more positives than negatives.  Leaving a
Pontiac Safari Wagon in the dust while crossing over Tioga Pass at 10,000 ft
is a plus in my book.  Not to mention leaving other Sprites, most of the Mg's
of that time and some Tr.'s in my rear view mirror.  The Judson was great and
if I still owned that car I would still have the Judson on it.  As it is I do
still own the Judson and am looking at putting on a 1275 in the Mk III.  I
already had a 1275 in our current budgie by the time the Judson came back to
me which is one reason it is still in the box.  However you do not get more
hp out of an engine for free; it cost you some where.  In the case of the
Judson the cost was a drop of 25% in gas mileage (10% was advertised) and a
quart of oil for the blower ever 1,000 rather than every 2,000 miles.  But I
had the horsepower and performance close to a 1275 seven years before 1275's
were available.

Anytime you increase the psi of the fuel air mixture going into the cylinders
the bottom end of the engine takes a beating.  My blower was installed on a
stock engine, 6,000 miles after leaving the factory and then driven almost
40,000 miles.  Even though the blower is hard on the bottom end I do not
think that was the cause of the crank failure.  The break was directly behind
the front main and the failure looked like metal crystallization.  This type
of break was not uncommon with Sprites and T series MG's at that time.  My
dad who had bought the car from me was commuting 80 miles a day and gas
mileage was more important to him than hp and performance so we put the SU's
back on.

Blowers are not for everyone but I do not know of anyway to get a 45% hp
increase for less money.

Another 2 cents + 2 cents

Bob and Annice
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)