Steering Wheel

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Wheel
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:45:09 -0500
I'm either really dumb or somebody along the way has screwed me up!  (hey, I
guess it could be both).
My '68 Spridget has a broken steering wheel.  I've tried to find a 13" wheel
and adapter and have had
a bit of trouble.  Looks like the cheap-o sources, like Grant Wheels, don't
make a hub for the '68.  So, I coughed up the bucks for a Moto-Lita from
LBCarCo.  But the adapter is too big for the splines on my steering column.
Jeff Zorn at LBCarCo checked the part number of the hub and said "Yep,
that's the hub for a '68."  But not MY '68.

I measured the splined section and the threaded section of the column (where
the big nut goes on) and came up with these dimensions:
Steering column spline diameter:  0.621"
Steering wheel nut threads diameter:  0.565"

The Moto-Lita adapter has a splined hole that is around  0.713--0.719",
although I could not measure it very well.

Anybody have any idea what's going on??

Thanks.

--John