Re: Steering Wheel

To: John.Deikis@med.va.gov, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net . gov>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:46:10 -0700 (PDT)
Is it possible that your car was actually a 67.5
rather than a full 68? 68 was a change over year for
many features on the Midget. The pillow dash came in
place of the metal dash, etc.

Dan

--- John.Deikis@med.va.gov wrote:
> I'm either really dumb or somebody along the way has
> screwed me up!  (hey, I
> guess it could be both).
> My '68 Spridget has a broken steering wheel.  I've
> tried to find a 13" wheel
> and adapter and have had
> a bit of trouble.  Looks like the cheap-o sources,
> like Grant Wheels, don't
> make a hub for the '68.  So, I coughed up the bucks
> for a Moto-Lita from
> LBCarCo.  But the adapter is too big for the splines
> on my steering column.
> Jeff Zorn at LBCarCo checked the part number of the
> hub and said "Yep,
> that's the hub for a '68."  But not MY '68.
>
> I measured the splined section and the threaded
> section of the column (where
> the big nut goes on) and came up with these
> dimensions:
> Steering column spline diameter:  0.621"
> Steering wheel nut threads diameter:  0.565"
>
> The Moto-Lita adapter has a splined hole that is
> around  0.713--0.719",
> although I could not measure it very well.
>
> Anybody have any idea what's going on??
>
> Thanks.
>
> --John

=====
Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
64 Sprite (Rotary Project)
Alexandria, Va.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten
the gift."
- Albert Einstein.
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/