Re: Carburetor Issues

To: "Ray" <rsides@delury.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carburetor Issues
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:24:50 -0400
On Friday 20 July 2001 02:44 pm, Ray wrote:

> 1. A high speed (under load) intermittent miss.
> Very short in duration  a fraction of a second.
>
> 2. A rattle  at first only when engaging the
> clutch but now at all times the engine is above
> 1k RPSs  I have IDed the rattle as a loose (stripped)
> air cleaner bolt.

Coincidentally, I have the exact same problems!

> To me it seems a fuel starvation related problem is
> causing the miss.

That's what I've been suspecting. I think it's my fuel filter being partially
clogged - my dad had a Jeep truck that kept clogging filters, and it would
start doing this as an early symptom. I have a clear filter and it looks
kinda bad. I recently cleaned the tank and lined it with Eastwood's kit, so I
shouldn't be getting any fresh gunk. But my filter has replaceable elements
(Purolator) and the stupid place I bought it from doesn't seem to have the
replacements, thought the did when I bought it. I think Jeff Zorn sells these
as well, so I may get a replacement from him - need some other parts anyway.
My car also has (came with) some non-original pump, and there are two
"things" between the tank and it - not sure, but they may be filters too.
Need to check them out and see just what I've got.

> 1. I see no inline fuel filter. Is there one (two)
> built into the SUs?

Nope, no internal filters.

> 2. Do you think the miss is related to the stripped bolt?

I can't really see how it would be.

> 3. Is this kind of miss an indication that the carbs
> are out of adjustment?

Not sure about that. My car was also adjusted by a local, highly regarded
British mechanic (both in the sense he works on British cars and is British
himself!) Anybody else?

> 4. What is the best way to fix the stripped bolt?

I've been planning on installing a thin-wall threaded insert, such as an
EZ-Loc or Keensert. On mine there is a small bit of the thread boss broken
away, so I don't think I could use a Helicoil style. You may be able to
though if you wanted.

Good luck! Let me know if you find the solution.

Eddie
1971 Midget