Re: Weber DGV

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber DGV
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:49:38 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/01 3:32:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com writes:

> The egine for the '72 Midget has been assembled and installed into the car
> along with Paul A's 5 speed kit. I should be ready to fire up the engine
> this weekend for the first time. I have set this one up with a Weber DGV
> 32/36, but this is my first experience with this carb. Anyone have any
> comments, suggestions or things I should know about setting up/running this
> carb? I am running the stock distributor and cam, but have an exhaust
> header. Timing has been set static at 7 degrees BTDC with the cam advanced
> 4 degrees (106 ATDC). No polution devices installed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gerard, I have the Weber instruction manual (it's like 7 pages) on this
computer in a .zip file of the scans.  I can send it to you and anyone else
who would like it.  It has to go off-list, and I always like to let people
know before I send them an attachment.

I also have the initial setup sheet as a text file.  I have put it below my
sig in this e-mail.

Get back to me if you want it.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Weber DGV/DGAV Idle Setting Procedure

Note: Before adjusting carburetor, be sure engine is at operating
temperature, (choke fully off) air cleaner is removed and vacuum lines are
plugged off.

1. The Weber DGV/DGAV idle speed screw should be adjusted to its preliminary
set point before adjusting the idle mixture.  To set the idle speed screw,
follow these steps.

2. Back "out" the idle speed screw until the tip of the screw no longer
touches the throttle lever.  Then slowly turn the screw in until it just
comes in contact with the throttle lever.

3. From the "contact" position, turn the idle screw "in" one (1) full turn.

4. If a tachometer is available, install it prior to starting the engine.  If
a tachometer is not available set idle mixture "by ear."

5. Start engine, be sure choke is not engaged, and proceed to adjust the idle
mixture.

6. Turn the idle mixture screw "in" (clockwise) until the engine RPM begins
to fluctuate on the tachometer.  (If adjusting by ear, until a noticeable
drop in speed is heard.)

7. Back "out" (counterclockwise) the idle mixture screw slowly, until the
engine idle becomes steady.  Try to obtain the leanest setting without
affecting the idle speed.  If necessary, repeat steps 6 and 7 until the best
setting is achieved.

8. Once the mixture is set, fine-tune the engine's idle speed, if necessary,
by readjusting the idle speed screw.  (Note: Turning "in" (clockwise) the
idle speed screw will increase engine speed.  Turning "out"
(counterclockwise) the idle speed screw will decrease the engine speed.)

9. If idle speed is reset go back and repeat steps 6 and 7.