1500 clutch throwout pinion in-situ ---> summary

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 clutch throwout pinion in-situ ---> summary
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:40:14 -0400
  Well, as a follow up to a long ago post about slop in
the clutch throwout arm pin, I have proven it can be
changed in situ if you are a little bit lucky and a
little bit lazy.

  Anyways, all the parts are cheap, buy a new pin and
at least two tolerance rings, because if this screws
up you might totally destroy the first one.

  The tolerance ring CAN be inserted from the outside
if you squeeze it a little, it's just hard to make it
stay in there because pushing the pin in makes it
come out again.

  I tried loctiting it in first, but that didn't work.

  Anyhow, something that worked was to use the old
pin as a bit of a plug to stop it from coming out as
I pushed the new pin in from the bottom.

  - Remove the clutch slave so you can use that
end of the lever to move stuff around.

  - Slide in the tolerance ring from below, and
check that it is seated by jiggling the other end
of the arm and seeing that the arm will fit into
the bell housing with the tolerance ring. That
means it is centered.

  - push the old pin in from the top, and use a big
C-clamp to press it in until it hits the tolerance
ring.

  - Tap the new pin in from the bottom until it
hits the old pin. The ring SHOULD be now fully around
the new pin, and should no longer fit out the hole
in the top anymore.

  - Loosen the C-clamp a few turns, tap until snug,
repeat until the top pin pops out.

  If all went well, it should be in now. If you
move the other end of the throwout arm it should
have no vertical play in it any more, and pushing
it in and out should turn the pin as well.

  From advice from a good lister, I also recommend
filling the access hole on the bottom with a big
glob of silicone goop. That will keep the pin from
falling out if the joint loosens up, which will happen
as the tolerance ring gradually collapses over time
and use.

  Two weeks and a few thousand shifts later, mine
seems fine. I refrained from reporting on it until
I thought it had shown some durability, and I guess
it has.

PS: My oil leaks also responded well to a coating of
permatex thick enough to alter the earth's rotation.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca