Re: Remember Blue smoke?

To: "List, Spridget Mail" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Remember Blue smoke?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:32:21 -0400
Keep those suggestions coming.

Miss Marple is down due to oil consumption.

I'm sort of there too.  The Midget engine is getting much worse.  ( It had
been getting 'better'. )

I may pull it out and put in the Sprite's 1098, which has always suffered
from
run-on.

The Midget's engine gave me a ping ( something breaking? ) and then a rattle
( timing chain?) a loss of power ( about 10% loss ?) and massive oil
consumption, which is a combination of blue smoke and piddling out the back
of the engine.  The idle dropped from 1200 to 800 ( which results in a
stall. )

My first thought was that the timing chain jumped a tooth, but I really have
no clue.  I can't drive it like that though.  I used 2.5 liters of oil in
less than an hours driving over 2 days.

I really wish that I had checked the timing so that I had a benchmark as to
where it was when it was running well.

Something else that bugs me, is while I was changing the oil in the Pontiac,
I found a lock washer in the waste oil container when I went to put it under
the car.  The last oil that went in there was the Midget's.  Of course, I
may have just dropped the thing in there, but . . .

Keep those thoughts coming.

And, if I have to tear this thing apart, where should I start?  I guess I
should do another compression test and see if my PCV is still together.
Should I also pull the valve cover and timing chain cover?

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca
'65 RHD BRG AH Sprite
'67 RHD red MG Midget < aka: Miss Marple >