Re: flex

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: flex
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:20:45 -0400
I don't doubt you, I was just trying to be funny . . .

However, it still isn't something that I would be comfortable with.  I would
rather start with a more sturdy block than the one that I've got or perhaps
sleeve mine, if that helps?  Mine is only supposed to be .020 over and at
least one of the cylinders (#1) is supposed to be sleeved ( 6 mos. after the
'build' and a conrod was also replaced under warranty ).  It is a fairly
early thin flange.  The compression is supposed to be 9.5:1.

It was originally my theory that something must be warping when the engine
got the shot of cooler coolant as the thermostat opened for the first time
during warmup.

I still believe that to be true, but I now also believe that I need some
head work ( keep it clean ).  I was just going through the history that came
with the car and it appears that the lash is different from stock due to the
cam that is fitted ( 731 type ( Viz says it's useless )).  The PPO takes a
guess 'from memory' that it should be at .015.  The inlet valves are
oversize and the springs are 'stiffer', but that doesn't matter, does it?

So, at the very least, I would be looking at a rocker shaft and having the
existing rockers re-bushed ( as if they aren't bushed enough! ).