Re: Tire pressure monitors (Minor LBC now)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, d_dibiase@yahoo.com, kmr@pil.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire pressure monitors (Minor LBC now)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
--- Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> Yes, it is available as an option.  I'll try to find
> out how much they sell
> it for.  The point is that the feds want to make it
> maditory on all 2004 cars.

It is standard on the wife's 99 Toyota.  I have dealt
with Druck, a pressure transducer manufacturer on
occasion.  Their North American president called on me
earlier this year, and handed me their brochure.  The
cover had a Lotus Elise on it, which I commented on
(see http://www.druck.com/usa/sensors-new.htm -
there's a Jag, an Elise, and an F1 car). He got very
excited that I knew what it was - he picked the car
for the cover, he had worked for Jag's racing dept in
the '60's, and was very much an LBC nut from the old
country.  They make the pressure sensors for the F1
cars now.  The cost for a good pressure transducer for
an aircraft application in the 0-60 psi range for me
now is around $300.  In the quantities the automotive
industry would require, the cost would probably be
reduced by a factor of 50 IF every car had them, and
the sell price would 2-3 times that to cover G&A and
overhead.  So...300/50 = $6; x 3 = $18, x 4 wheels -
$72 to you the consumer.  If it saves you one trashed
tire alone it pays for itself.  Not bad, IMHO.
'Course it only works if the idiot behind the wheel
pays attention to the red light on the dashboard...

=====
Ron Soave

The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
The British car owner says it's leaking.
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/