So Al Special/ LSR no LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: So Al Special/ LSR no LBC
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:42:16 -0500
        Well folks.... I don't talk much about what I am doing with this old
Junk
Camaro.... but once a year I pitch out what's happening.... here is the
story and the saga of my challenges to join DMH in the Bonneville Two
hundred Mph Club.

In the world of Land Speed Racing there are 4 Two Hundred mph clubs....
Bonneville UT /ECTA, Maxton NC/ El Mirage Ca./ Muroc Dry lake Ca.   Only
one man is in all Four.... George Potter   one of my personal goals is to
join him.

Last Year I went to Muroc Dry Lake ( Edwards AFB Ca.) and set a record at
205.787 mph joining the Muroc Two Club.... I was already in the 2 club for
the East Coast Timing association where we won the Points race last
year.... But I put Two new guys in the  200mph club on the 1 mile course
there....( Brad Johnson and Will Handzel )  This leaves 2 of the Four
200mph clubs left for me to do..... Bonneville and El Mirage....

My Efforts last year included Two events on the Salt.... Speedweek and the
World of speed...... my best pass was a run of 228.304mph .   This speed
was in the 4th mile of a five mile course.... and I broke the Motor at the
3.5 mile point so I coasted down from an estimated 235mph...... the Record
in the D ( less the 305 cubic inches) Fuel Altered Class..... is 230mph....
  So I was actually over the record but again it don't count unless you can
back up your speed on a second run and the average of the Two Passes has to
be over the record.....

Bottom line I have a new Rodeck engine for this year and it's a 300 cubic
inch Aluminum Motor with 18 degree Nascar heads and a bazillion bucks worth
of fancy Junk inside it.....   I have been lucky to have Barry Grant
sponsor the Fuel system in the car and that includes the Two Stages of
Nitrous we are going to be running this year..... The Motor makes 600.6hp
and the Nitrous is worth another 600hp if I need it..... hopefully I
won't.... we only had 500hp last year on the motor and 200hp of
Nitrous..... so I think we are in really good shape for this year....

If in fact we can get the Bonneville deal done I am having a fella named
Don Wales fly over from England to drive the car in September at Maxton NC
..... Don is running an electric car and I am going to get him his First
couple of lic's ....
He also happens to be Sir Malcolm Campbells Grandson..... ( yes that aided
in my interest ..... that plus the fact that I love British cars didn't
hurt )

after this mess I am going to take the car out to California for El Mirage
next year and leave it until I get in that Club......... but having the Car
outta my shop means I can concentrate my efforts on building my Bugeye Land
speed racer.....

By the Way I am pitting at Bonneville with Doug Odom who owns the Only
active Austin Healey on the Salt at Present and who has become a great
friend of mine..... Doug went to Australia in Feb and set records down
there..... but he has the ability this time to actually set the Fastest
record in an Austin Healey Ever at Bonneville this year.....

That is what is happening in my world..... I leave on Monday to head out to
Bonneville again and can't wait..... seems like Maybe finally the chances
are pretty good...... but with all things it's up to Fate and Luck past the
Preparation Point......

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)