Ignition lock

To: spridgets@autox.team.net ttelle.org>
Subject: Ignition lock
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:41:26 -0400
The ignition lock on my '72 Midget broke recently.   The key will not return
to the "off" position.  The only way to stop the engine is to leave the car
in gear and release the clutch with the emergency brake on.  I  know that I
can buy a new complete steering lock assembly for approximately $150.00 and
could probably get a used assembly for $35.00 to $50.00.

Being the enterprising, read tightwad, that I am, I am also looking for a
less expensive alternative.  I have removed the steering lock assembly and
have a locksmith looking at it.

I do not care if the steering lock actually locks the steering wheel.  All I
really care about, is if I can turn the key and the engine dies and
conversely, when I turn the key to start the engine starts.

Does anyone have any experience with repairing the locking mechanism?

>From inspection of the steering lock assembly, it looks like the actual lock
can be removed and may be replaceable.  Is this possible?  If yes, is the
lock assembly's available and from where?  I have looked in Moss and VB and
haven't seen this as an option.

Can the locking mechanism itself be repaired or "tricked" to function as
engine off/on.  It feels like something is hanging up within the locking
mechanism.  Can a locksmith remove the broken parts and replace, even if it
no longer functions as a lock?

Any help or comments will be appreciated.