Re: Nevada beige

To: soavero@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nevada beige
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:40:43 EDT
In a message dated 8/9/01 3:59:20 AM, soavero@yahoo.com writes:

<< Your talk of Nevada beige is jogging my memory as well
- do you know if it was ever a big Healey color as
well?  I have distant memories of a neighbor who had
one, and I swear it was beige, which I haven't seen since. >>

Ron:  According to the Vintage Color Register  for Austin Healeys, Nevada
Beige was used only on Bugeyes.  (We disagree with the "authorities" on which
Bugeyes.  We are pretty sure it was  only the 60's shipped after 10/59.
Various authorities give it a wider window.)  Using the same authority, a
color called Bedouin was used on Sprite Mark IV's from '69 to '71.  BN1's and
2's had a color called Coronet Cream.  That seems to be all the beiges in
Original Healeys.  There were some colors in Triumphs and MG's that I
remember being close.  That said, British color control was a great deal
short of optimum in the 50's and 60's.  What is on my Sprite was hand matched
and is an excellent reproduction of what was on it when it was new.  It does
not match the chip in the VCR.  I will be happy to provide the mixing formula
for PPG paint used  on my car.  I understand Nevada Beige has a reputation
for being an awful color,  but I happen to like it.

Since I think you described  yourself as a 30-something, there is an
excellent chance your neighbor's Healey had been repainted by the time you
saw it.

Regards,

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)