Re: Auto Insurance - LAST ONE

Subject: Re: Auto Insurance - LAST ONE
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:43:10 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jay,
It is a 50 mile one-way trip from my home to the shop I use regularly.
The only way that I am physically able to get the car there during
working hours, is to drive it to work in the morning, and deliver it to
the shop on my split. I then must take a bus to retrieve it after work.
After much discussion with the local traffic cop, his sergeant,the DMV,
and our insurance agent, I have been assured that this is legitimate use
of the car with its collector plates. I will, on occasion, take the car
(or one of the others)to the shop without a pre-scheduled appointment to
have some little thing fixed. He is not lying when he says "If Kate said
she was on her way here, that's where she was going", as I will drop in
regularly. If you can come up with a better way to get the car to town
without driving it there at a time when the shop is open, I am willing
to listen. Some of us don't have the option of living in a city or
working normal hours.
Kate

Kate & Gary,
I sent a long-winded email last year about the classic car insurance
industry's position on this coverage myth. Anyone that operates one a
vehicle insured on a classic car policy who thinks this will work is
very
naive. The claims departments have heard all the "stories", just the
same as
any other professional has heard all the "stories" in their respective
trades. Your mechanic is not the only person that is going to have to
lie to
support your statements.

This is precisely the problem with these programs. Vehicles are not only
used outside the coverage guidelines but people are advised and
encouraged
to do so. The unfortunate result is sometimes denial of coverage and the
least that the vehicle owner will have to worry about is coverage for
the
damage to their own car. Claims for bodily injury will make that figure
appear very small.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
shaking my head in disgust