Re: Fw: State of British cars

To: macleans@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Fw: State of British cars
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:23:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
--- Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net> wrote:
> back when.  Girls love this car.  You can't get that
> reaction in a Miata.

Mike,
Personally, I agree completely, to my eye the Sprite
is so much more an interesting and artful design, but
a lot of it has to do with time and familiarity.  I
have R&T's first review of the Mk II Sprite, and they
comment how no one could ever call the Bugeye pretty!
When a friend of mine 1st saw my Bugeye he couldn't
believe it was a "classic" - he remembered his next
door neighbor had one parked on the side of his house
in the early 70's that he bought for $25 that the
local kids used as a fort.  No girls drooling over it
then.

When I got my first Miata in 1990, my wife and I came
back from lunch the first day we had it and found two
local ladies sitting in the car, they asked me to take
their picture in it.  In fact the article that made me
go look at the car in 1989-90 was one by Peter Egan in
1989 calling the car the most noticed new car Road and
Track had ever tested, including Ferrari's, etc.
Amazing how the car blends into the background now
that 700,000 of them are on the road.

Now my Lotus...the girl who used to cut my hair asked
me if I'd take pictures of her naked on the
hood....people would walk right by 911's to get a
closer look.  Again, the 911 is a beautiful car, more
timelessly pretty than an Esprit really, but they make
170 Esprit's a year at best, vs. several thousand
911's.  People were surprised and stunned by it (so
were Corvette drivers!).

=====
Ron Soave

The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
The British car owner says it's leaking.
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/