Re: Car History?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car History?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:10:36 -0400
Glen,

WFO Herb answer was the best so far, that and if the PO is
contactable as the best way to begin.  Carfax a: will not accept
Spridget vins as acceptable, not enough numbers and b: their
history only goes back as far as DMV computerised records, so
save your money on that one.

I have been trying to document my car, 'Ole Gray', and finally
after three plus years I will have a microfish copy of the
original title (original no longer exists, only microfish) and
will be able to complete my cars short history (I am the 3rd
owner).  Can't wait for the mailed copy to arrive! The major
problem I had was that the state had a 'privacy information act'
so without an offical, notorized release form signed by the PO
you couldn't get squat from the DMV folks.  The fact that they
were all deceased didn't carry any weight with them either!  No
form, no info.  I finally got feedup and wrote to the Secretary
of the State that the DMV was under explaining what I have been
trying to do and lo and behold channels opened up!  Not only will
I receive a copy of the title (free I might add) but the name and
address of a cousin of the PO to get all the details/facts
correct to finally document my cars remarkable history.  I had an
oral history and I 'assumed' that part of it was true or based in
fact but how much was true and how much was added?  It turns out
99% was true only the hometown of the PO changed ( by 5-6 miles)
to the next town. It's been a long and frustating search just for
one PO!  I don't want to discourage you but be prepared to have
to deal with DMV mentality that seems to be the same reguardless
of which state your'e dealing with.

Good luck,
Biff Jones
Pasadena, MD