Re: fuel pump

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:24:43 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Crash,
     The fuel pump is the one that came with the car in 1960.  During the
rebuild I was in the market for a rebuild kit for it and tried all the usual
suspects.  At the time a rebuild kit for an AC Y-type pump was over 50 bucks!  A
repro was only $35 at the time.  What was that all about?  These days the
rebuild kit is down to a more reasonable price.  At the time I did not want to
spend 50 bucks for this kit.  During one of my usual forays for parts I went to
an auto parts store here in San Bernardino that has been selling British car
parts for over 30 years and happened to mention that i was looking for a pump
rebuild kit.  The lady that has run the store for these 30 years said to wait a
minute and disappeared into the back of the store.  She reappeared  a few
minutes later and handed me a cardboard box with no top and full of small
parts.  She said it was a generic rebuild kit for my type of pump and I could
have it for the price on the box.  On the side of the box in pencil it said
$7.95!  She said that was the price in 1972 and no-one bought it since then so
just take it for that price.  Wow!  All the generic parts fit perfectly and I
have had no problems until the screws that hold the halves together loosened.
After retightening it did not leak.  If it leaks again in the near future, I
will take your advice and add some Form a Gasket.
Mike Maclean Supercharged 60 Sprite