Re: to canada and beyond!

To: John Holliday <fprodget@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: to canada and beyond!
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:42:18 -0400
Cc: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
John Holliday wrote:

> Yep,
>
> Rear end oil is too heavy to properly lubricate deep
> into all of the little needle bearings. I dismantled a
> ribcase from my parts car that had seized. The needle
> bearings were toast. The oil in it was gear oil!

  I might be reading between the line shere, but it's
worth mentioning that 80w90 gear oil and 20w50 engine oil
are roughly the same viscosity despite the numbers being
very far apart.

  Engine oil viscosity is measured at a hotter temperature
than gear oil, which makes the numbers much lower even for
the same thickness of oil.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca