Accelerator problem

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Accelerator problem
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:32:55 -0400
I have had a problem with the accelerator on the 71 Midget since I rebuilt
the engine this past winter. I replaced the accelerator cable at the same
time (I don't remember the condition of the one I replaced). Since then, no
matter what I do, I either have to compromise and use a stronger spring to
close the throttle, or use the correct one and continually fight the
accelerator sticking. I have torn the SUs down and cleaned them, and still
have the same problem. I had a similar problem with a 72 I owned 28 years
ago, and it turned out to be the cable. I see no reason to replace the one I
have with one from the same supplier, if that is indeed the problem. When I
replaced the one on the 72 many years ago, my friend with another Midget
(whose accelerator worked great) told me to ask for the one with the
"kangaroo kick." I did and it worked fine. I assumed he was BSing me for a
joke. Does such a character exist? Could the cable actually be the problem,
even though it's new? Can anyone suggest a specific brand? It sure takes the
pleasure out of driving when it takes all your weight to press down the
accelerator.