Re; My Fault Again

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; My Fault Again
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:24:03 -0700
Just finished the fuel pump repair on the Bugeye.  After installation I
tried to pump fuel into the Holley carb on the Judson with the priming
lever.  There was resistance but I saw only an 1/8th of an inch of fuel
in the NAPA clear plastic fuel filter that is installed in the vertical
run of fuel line between the pump and the carb.  The resistance lessened
and finally the priming lever would move it's full travel with no
resistance just like any other time I primed the carb(s).  At no time
was there any more than 1/8th inch of fuel visible in the bottom of the
fuel filter.  Just enough fuel to "touch" the pleated yellow paper
filter inside the clear plastic.  I tried to start it, and it started as
normal!  I warmed it up a little and took off for a drive around the
neighborhood.  After a little cautious driving close to home in case it
quit, I took off driving it like I stole it (per Frank).  The thing went
like Hell all over southern San Bernardino.  About 15 minutes later I
pulled up to my house and lifted the bonnet to observe the fuel filter
and sure enough there was still only 1/8th inch of gas in it!  The
filter is at slight angle and the gas is actually only touching a corner
of the pleated paper.  How is this thing working?  It shouldn't work,
but it does.  I must be a really good mechanic if I can make it run on
an 1/8th inch of gas!
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite
P.S. Fuel is flowing in the direction of the arrow moled on the plastic
case of the filter.  In other words, I did not install it backwards.