Re: Fulcrum Pin - Help

To: wolfbj@prodigy.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pin - Help
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:49:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/2001 9:49:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wolfbj@prodigy.net writes:

> but I found when I removed the lower fulcrum pin that the forward threads
> are worn out on one side.  The grease was rock hard on the forward end, and
> upon inspection of the wishbone I cant really tell if there is any damage to
> the threads, etc.  Is there a way to check these threads, (can't find thread
> chaser (bolt etc.) that size.???  or would it be better to just replace the
> wishbone???

The wear on one side is common, I think, because the pin only moves in a
short arc with all the weight of that corner of the car on the top side of
the pin.  My guess is that the bushing is worn the same amount.  Sounds like
the PO did not grease the fitting regularly, which would hasten its wear.
The best fix, unless you really want to get into a big time job of alignment
and silver soldering of bushings is to trade out the A-arms for rebuilt ones
with new fulcrum pins.  A useful modification, when you get the rebuilt
A-arms, if you go that route, would be to drill and tap the REAR bushing for
a grease fitting so you can pump grease into the forward AND the rear
bushings.  You were very lucky that you could remove the fulcrum pins that
easily.  It usually takes cutting, heating, a BFH, and an act of God to
remove them.

--David C.