ABFM - Portland

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: ABFM - Portland
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 18:25:17 -0700
Yesterday was the last day of the All British Field Meet in Portland,
and consisted of a slalom and swapmeet. It was also the ocassion of
Gary's longest ride to date in Madge. We left home around 0630 and
headed up to Springfield where we stopped for breakfast and to watch
people ogle the strange little car in the parking lot. Since I no longer
have a speedometer, and lost the registration years ago, I was driving
rather conservatively. We arrived at PIR around 1000, and stopped to
watch the cars on the track. The only real competitor, in my opinion,
was Bob Ames in his Lotus. Everyone else was just out for a Sunday
drive. Got to see Paul again, and pick up the parts list for the 5 speed
conversion. It seems I still have more shopping to do for that project,
as the clutch in my new Datsun is real bad. Anybody have a good Datsun
clutch to donate to a good home? I need to buy a tiller that is going to
be auctioned next Saturday and I expect to be quite broke after I get
it. We were able to meet one lister, from Kelso, Washington, but I have
already forgotten his name. People who know me know that I seldom
remember my own name. He is one of our "lurkers", but seems like a real
nice guy. He said he had seen Froggi, but had not found Herb. Saw about
50 LBCs that I would cheerfully have gone to jail to own, but what
little good sense that I have prevented that. I was told that there were
at least 600 cars entered for the show on Saturday. Maybe next year
Madge will be in condition to go, but probably not, as I like driving
her too much. If they would separate the drivers from the show cars, I
wouldn't mind entering, but I can't compete against a car that only gets
driven on & off its enclosed trailer. We met some nice Spitfire people
on the trip home. They had just bought the car last week. It turned out
to be a beautiful day for topless cruising, but I had to stop and put on
a jacket about 800. Madge ran flawlessly, and did not use a drop of oil
on the trip. Gary even suggested that we take her up to Florence next
Sunday to see the travelling Wall exhibit, but the weather will probably
be unsuitable. Oh well, Norman the Neon needs exercise too.
Kate